Department of Women and Child Development
The Department of Women and Child Development, Lakshadweep Administration, came into existence as a separate Department with effect from 15th June, 2007; earlier since 1987 it was a Department under the Department of Social Justice Empowerment and Culture, Lakshadweep Administration.
The Lakshadweep Administration was constituted with the prime intention of Promoting social and economic empowerment of women, Ensuring development, care and protection of children and spreading awareness about their right, facilitating access to learning, nutrition, institutional and legislative support for enabling them to grow and develop to their full potential and create gender equitable and child-centered legislation, policies and programs.
Empowered women living with dignity and contributing as equal partners in development in an environment free from violence and discrimination. And, well nurtured children with full opportunities for growth and development in a safe and protective environment.
Promoting social, Legal and economic empowerment of women.
Ensuring development, care and protection of children.
• 9 ICDS Projects.
• 107 Anganwadi centers.
• 6 Children’s Parks.
• 1 Working Women’s Hostel.
• 9 Tailoring Centers.
• 425 Self Help Groups.
• Mobile Counseling Centre with 3 Counselors.
• State Project Management Unit under the scheme Poshan Abhiyaan with 8 contract staff.
• District Level Centre for women under the scheme Mahila Shakti Kendra with 3 contract staff.
NEW INITIATIVES/PROPOSALS OF THE DEPARTMENT
• Setting-up of Nutri-garden in Anganwadi area.
• Establishment of One Stop Centre to provide integrated support and assistance to women affected by violence.
• Establishment of Women Help line
• 12 Crèches under National Crèche Scheme
• Vanitha Co-operative Society at Kavaratti- An open market for the sale of SHG products like handicraft materials, snacks, oils from all the Islands.
• Stitching of Cloth bags and paper bags
• Health cum fitness Centre at Kiltan and Kavaratti Islands.
• State Resource Centre under Mahila Shakti Kendra.
• Construction of new children’s park at Amini, Agatti and Kiltan Islands.
|Director||Contact Address||Contact No|
|Shri. T Kasim||wcdkvt[at]gmail[dot]com||Dept of Women and Child Development, Press Building, 2nd Floor, Kavaratti, Lakshadweep 682555||04896-262491