Department of Art and Culture
The department of Art and Culture cater informative and entertainment needs of public, students and researchers through Public Libraries in all Islands and State Central Library in Head Quarter Island Kavaratti. The department promotes traditional arts and culture and demonstrates all arts forms of Lakshadweep in morning session of Republic Day and conduct cultural exchange programs through Lakshadweep Kala Academy (Autonomous body financed by the department). The department also established Archaeological Museum at Agatti Island, which provides first hand authentic information on cultural heritage of Lakshadweep Islands to visiting tourist from India abroad. The collection of museum includes Archaeological items, Archival materials, traditional items, indigenous/navigational equipment. In total 461 artifacts are available in the museum.
- Organized competitive exam classes for job seekers with the help of experts from nearby Kerala State.
- Conducted Library Extension Program for students, public and teachers.
- Conducted ward wise mobile outreach programs.
- Organized seminars, mass runs book exhibition competition of storytelling, quiz, deviate and painting competition for students and public.
- Honored the topper in Humanities stream with cash award.
- Organized cultural events in connection with various occasion like Gandhi Jayanthi, Lakshadweep Formation Day, VVIP visit in Bangaram, Constitutional Day etc.
- Organized Cultural Exchange Programs in connection with Ek Baharat Shresht Bharat
- Expansion of Library Service in the Islands
- Preservation, & Promotion of Tribal Culture
- Grant in Aid to Lakshadweep Kala Academy